Thursday 9 July 2009

One step at a time

A question asked of me today prompted a realisation – I don’t really have any clear, long-term goals. Having now given it some thought, I don’t really see this as a problem, however.

As I see it, part of going through a rehab program is supposed to be about building an enjoyable life. To achieve this, I’m trying a few different areas of business until I find one that really suits me. I’ve completed numerous courses and workshops, and all the time I am adding to my knowledge and experience. When I reflect on the progress I’ve made and the options I now have, I feel satisfied with my current situation. So I am quite content living without long term objectives – for now at least.

Same again, please

My six week training program is now complete, and it has been agreed that I am staying for another six weeks at least. I will be working on Poached projects as well as more Camden Calling-related things. This length of commitment is fine for me at the moment – as I have been advised to ease myself back in to full time work.

I’m just beginning

Remaining at Poached is so pleasing to me as I feel that I have so much more to learn in this field. The past few weeks have only scratched the surface of what it’s like to be involved in writing – and I feel I have so much more to explore. We have covered a wide range of areas, so I am only just narrowing down which specific areas I am most interested in pursuing. It’s too good a learning opportunity to miss, so writing and communications is definitely my primary focus at the moment.

Keeping options open

That isn’t to say I can never take my interest in mentoring further at some point. The qualification I gained in peer support will always be there, but there is no rush to build on it. The relevant personal experiences I have will never go away, and people in that field tend to be much older than me anyway.

Pleasant surprise

Deciding on writing as my focus coincided with a phone call from the editor of a magazine called Chatterbox. I wrote a small article for the publication a while back, and I have been offered the chance to contribute again. The magazine is distributed to substance misuse organisations across London. It runs stories written by people who have been through the system and have had positive experiences. In a way, it’s purpose is not dissimilar to peer mentoring. It acts as inspiration and offers hope to those who are struggling to see an end to their problems. I see this as a thoroughly worthwhile cause and I happily accepted the offer of writing for it.

No mercy!

I was in the presence of another expert guest speaker today. Not for the first time, this coincided with the equivalent of public execution for a piece of Camden Calling literature. The deserving target this time was a recent press release. The loathsomeness felt for this document by Emma, speaker and public relations connoisseur, made palpable the work required when I take control of press duties next month.

Another skill to add

The session was really useful as I now have some great tips on how the piece should look, read, and how it should be structured. It will be my first attempt at a press release, so I’m thankful for the hints on how to make it a success. Emma had several suggestions on success in other areas of PR – and again one of the most important things to remember is to know your audience when writing.

Sense of fulfilment

I came away from my final session feeling immensely satisfied, and extremely grateful for the help I have received in the last weeks. While this is the end of my training course, I have no intention of ending my regular updates here. I am actually quite enjoying posting - so who knows how long this blog could run for?

Don’t ask me, I don’t plan long-term.

No comments:

Post a Comment