Thursday 20 August 2009

It’s one thing after another (in a good way)

This week was my 11th with Poached Creative – leaving just one more week until I have completed the further six weeks I agreed to after I finished the initial six week program, if that isn’t too confusing.

So, as I began my penultimate journey to Wood Green, I started to think ‘what’s next, then?’

Getting your foot in the door

This is a question I have asked myself several times since October last year. I didn’t feel overly concerned though. In this time, I have learnt that if you build up your list of contacts, show some commitment and determination, and keep your options open, opportunities have a habit of presenting themselves to you. My bedroom wall has a pretty impressive array of completion certificates from various courses, workshops, and, ahem, treatment centres; for this very reason.

New opportunity

I am delighted to say that the trend has continued. Jess met someone the other day who is interested in taking me on as a trainee. It sounds like the arrangement would be similar to the one I have with Poached – some work, some training, plenty of experience, and some great stuff for my CV.

I’ve still got it, apparently

The work is for a website called What's Up Information. It targets young Londoners, and aims to keep them informed about what’s going on in their area. It keeps young people up to date with things like training courses, as well as giving them suggestions on ways to use their spare time to develop new social interests. After being assured by Angela that at age 26 I am not too old for this kind of thing, I’ve decided to give it some serious thought. A chance to good to miss? Possibly, but I think it’s important to look at my options before just diving in.

Back to the work at hand

I have plenty of Poached work to keep me busy for now. I successfully completed another NHS Jobs website interview – and it has been deemed fit for publication! Not bad, considering a few weeks ago I convinced myself I was incapable of multitasking. I’m really excited about my work being displayed on the NHS site. I’m pleased just have work published – but for it to be on such a major website represents some achievement.

I have another interview to do this week – but it’s a little different. I’m going to be writing a profile for fellow Poached Creative trainee Dan. I’m hoping this won’t be too tricky, but it’s part of an important piece of Poached work so I’m not going to get complacent.

I couldn’t go a whole blog without mentioning CC, could I?

There’s quite a bit of Camden Calling work that needs finalising. The newsletter is due out soon, so I’m in the process of putting the finishing touches to that. This will be the first one written, edited, and distributed by me, so fingers crossed for a good response from it.

Ask me again in a week

Some important things to do to keep me occupied until my decision over my next venture, then. Explaining my present situation, I’ve been trying to avoid using the expression about one door closing and another one opening, but it really is the best way to describe this. Whatever I decide, I am extremely grateful to Jess for putting my name forward. Hopefully I’ll have an answer next week – and you’ll read it here first.

1 comment: