Thursday 27 August 2009

Some good things must end

It probably won’t sink in until next Thursday when I get to have a lie in, but I am now officially no longer a Poached Creative trainee. Initially, I’ll probably be grateful for the extra time in bed, but I assure you the feeling won’t last. I’ve enjoyed my time here, and to be honest, I’m going to miss it. The friendly people, the interesting work, the strange buzz I get these days from high-ish levels of responsibility... it’s a place I feel comfortable and somewhere I will always hold in high regard.

Anything you can do...

Inevitably, though, there are a couple of things I won’t miss much. One is the morning taxi ride to Wood Green. The reliability of the taxi firm I use only extends to a guarantee that each and every driver they employ will make an attempt to turn the journey in to a comedic farce. In my first week here, the driver took me to south London by mistake. And almost as if today’s driver had heard this was my last week and therefore his last chance to top that, decided to drive the wrong way down a one-way street.

Better late than never

This, along with the driver’s unwillingness to follow his sat-nav’s instructions, meant I was a little bit late arriving today. I still managed to complete some work for the Poached website, and in the afternoon have a meeting with Jess to discuss how the latter half of my stay had gone. As we went over my completed work, I realised I’d done considerably more than I remembered. This made me feel a lot better about my as-yet unfinished portfolio’s prospects.

Goodbye – at least for now

We agreed to keep in contact, which is superb news for me (you’ll have to ask Jess if she feels the same) because I’m sure Jess will prove an extremely useful person to know in the future. I was pleased – and flattered - to hear her say there may be an opportunity for me at Poached in the future, too.

A job well done

Overall, it’s been a rewarding, valuable, and pleasurable experience. When I reflect on the last 12 weeks, I can safely safe ‘mission accomplished.’ I have gained considerable knowledge, have new skills coming out of my ears, have something to add to my CV, and have plenty of evidence to show to prospective employers.

Finally, I have a goal in life

Although this mission may have accomplished, it’s only really a small part of a bigger project. So, with my heart and head both set on making it as a journalist of some description, I must embark on a new venture. I have decided to accept the offer of work in a capacity similar to my one at Poached with What’s up Information. After discussions with family and friends, I have come to the conclusion that it is another opportunity too good to miss. Lucy, who runs the website aimed at London’s youth, is currently on holiday so my knowledge of the logistics of the job are limited. From what I do know however, it sounds like an exciting chance to continue my journalistic development in an n interesting area of work.

Chill out time

My current situation, then, leaves me with some free time. I don’t think this is a bad thing – I have put a lot of effort in to my life recently and so perhaps it’s a break I deserve. When I do start up again, I have promised to continue this blog, as Jess and I both feel it could act as an inspiration to others considering a training course at Poached. Next time I post here, I will give you all the news of my new undertaking in Hackney. Fingers crossed, it will be as positive an experience as my time at Poached.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blogs, Chris. They're so positive! It's been great working with you and do keep in touch, if only to compare notes on how our lives have turned out post-Poached! Remember, Subba Cultcha are always on the look-out for reviewers so if you feel like adding to your portfolio at any time in the future, let me know and I'll put you in touch with Chris. All the best x

    ReplyDelete